Re: Remote linux desktop access

Quoting "Antonio Rafael C. Paiva" <arpaiva@cnel.ufl.edu>:

Hi!

Does anyone know how to have X access remotely through ssh?
If I open a terminal and connect using ssh I can open specific application but not the whole desktop environment, that I would like to map to a different display on my machine.
(I'm using X.org.)

You misunderstand how X forwarding works. The X server runs on your machine. The clients (running locally or remotely) display on to your X server. If you
want remote X apps to show up on a different display, then simply start up
another X server on another display (e.g., :1 if :0 is already in use).

Now, if you are interedted in getting an entire desktop session (and not just
one or two apps) across an SSH connection, then you need to look into something
like VNC.  There are variants which work through a web browser, a regular SSH
connection and so on.  You can also create a new (virtual) display that is
exported or stay logged in and export your real display (:0).

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto