Re: Configuration error running su in unstable WORKAROUND

Howard Roberts wrote:

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 11:03 +0100, Chris Lale wrote:
Howard Roberts wrote:

Chris,
Today I did an apt-get update on my debian unstable system and began
experiencing the same problems you mentioned in the debian mailing list
with su.
I wondered if you've made any headway?

Thanks,

Howard

Hello Howard.

Thanks for your reply. I am keeping this on the list and cc-ing you.

I have just upgraded unstable again (Friday 7th October) and the problem persists. During the upgrade I noticed that the package 'eject' made the same complaint, even though I was already running as root (unknown items 'QUOTAS_ENAB', 'NOLOGIN_STR', 'ENV_HZ', 'PASS_MAX_LEN', 'CHFN_AUTH' and 'CLOSE_SESSIONS').

Perhaps these errors are not directly caused by su? Could they be items expected in the kernel? I am running kernel 2.6.8-2-386. I see that 2.6.12 is available in unstable. Which kernel are you running?

Chris.
Chris,
I am using 2.6.10-1-k7. However, after I mailed you I found a reference
to this problem elsewhere that implicated the login package. Right or
wrong, I edited /etc/login.defs and commented out all references to the
above variables and all seems well now.

HTH,
Howard
Thanks Howard - it works for me too!

However, all these items exist quite happily in /etc/login.defs on my stable Sarge 3.1 system. I cannot see anything about this problem with the login package in the Debian bug tracking system. Where did you find the reference to the problem with the login package?

Regards,
Chris.