serial port programming

Hi,

I've an application which uses /dev/ttyS3 to read and write some data. This software is kind of alpha. Sometimes it segfaults. So the serial port is not closed correctly. If I restart the application after a segfault I'm not able to open the port again. I've to reboot. Im wondering if it's possible to reset the serial port somehow. I mean: If I sent a SIGKILL it'll result in the same behavior. And I should be able to sent a SIGKILL to an application which uses the serial port, shouldn't I?

regards
Marc