Re: hard drive access

hi ya

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> disagreed with me and referred me to the motherboard manufacturer (Biostar).

:-)

> Their tech support said that the beep code indicated either a dead CPU or a
> corrupted BIOS.  After I explained that removing the RAM, CPU and video card
> resulted in exactly the same beeping

how can it beep without the cpu ..

i say you have a bad cpu ( overheated ?? ) or fan slowed down enough that
it allows the cpu to run hotter than it should be

	- open the case ... and use a standard $20 household fan to blow
	on the cpu and see if it boots/runs

, the tech said he was reasonably certain
> it was the BIOS.

bios does not die too often if ever .. unless you're flashing the sucker

> However, there is no guarantee that the new BIOS will fix the problem, leaving
> with the possibility of getting a new mother board.  The problem I have is that
> though my system performs regular backups (every morning @ 0200)

your backups is also questionable ... since it could have been backing up
corrupt files
	- hopefully ou have been saving your data in different files
	instead of overwritting "yesterday's" or last week's backups

> to my file
> two before it is back up and running. The real problem is that my system has
> two hard drives in RAID1 (software) with LVM on top of that.  The question is:
> How do I safely access the data?

my silly question ... why can you move the 2 disks to a different
motherboard ( ycu can get um for free  or up to $1000 or more for
motherboards depending on how pick you are about which motherboard )

if the lvm drives is somehow locked to the motherboard, that'd suck

c ya
alvin