Serial lockup during smp boot [Sarge]

Hi.

I have some strange problems during boot of my system:

I'm running stable (Sarge) with kernel-image-2.6.7-2-686 plus ditto-smp. I have a Intel machine with a Intel P4 (family 15, model 4) @3GHz. I have 1G of memory. My SATA HDD's are running software RAID-1 with LVM (but that's probably irrelevant of this error).

I'm running serial console as the main console. Hence this line is found in by grub config: "kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-686-smp root=/dev/mapper/System-Root vga=0x31A console=ttyS0,38400 ro"

If I boot my -smp kernel with this config, the serial console output (and boot process) locks up after a while. It boots the kernel, starts userspace apps as expected. It locks up approx. when its doing EXT3FS mounts. The machine is then apparently dead, nothing more happens. However, if I then type any charater in my serial console, it will then output the next 16 bytes of the serial console output. Press a key, and new 16 charaters from the console output are retured. And it will keep on doing this until init 2 is run (apparently until the syslogd and klogd are started)

This behaviour is not observed when I use the tty0 as console, neither when I boot the non-smp kernel. Nor does it lockup on shutdown.

Does anyone know about this "feature"? Is this something to submit a bugreport about?

Regards,
Svein Seldal