Need some help ???

I am in need of some help on not wanting some packages to be removed when I try using either apt-get install (package name),  or using Synaptic...They both want to remove alot of packages that I do not want to do a total of 512...

At one time I had this very same problem, I had mentioned it to one of my debian user friends, he had told me to edit out the packages in a certain script,  which did eliminate this problem, but since that time I have forgotten where it was located,  or what it was called...??? He also does not remember at this time...

So might anyone know what I need to do to eliminate the wanting of synaptic, or apt-get to want to remove a bunch of files...???

Any help on this would be very much appreciated...

Thanks Larry