Re: Joystick not recognized by games

Freddy Freeloader wrote:
I have a Gravis Blackhawk that isn't being recognized by any games. It is, however, recognized at boot as recorded by dmesg.

The following modules are loaded at boot: joydev, grip, emu10k-gp, gameport, and ns558. I'm running a Soundblaster Live! sound card.
There is a /dev/input/js0.
So, what am I missing? The following link gives some instructions for getting joysticks to work in Debian but it's pretty old and says that the instructions and utilities there are for the 2.4 kernel so I'm unsure if all the instructions are valid: http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~vojtech/input/ .

I'm running a mixture of sid and Sarge with the 2.6.8-2-386 kernel, but have only the packages required for Firefox 1.07 installed from sid.

I had a similar problem with a Joystick a while back, it wasn't even creating the dev node. It still didn't work when I created it manually because the permissions were incorrect. They were created with 600 permissions and not 660 as are the rest of the input devices. I know have an init script to create the devices and chmod them on boot which seems to work YMMV.

HTH

Wackojacko