Re: testing & stable: vanished packages?

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 02:14:16AM -0700, furufuru@ccsr.u-tokyo.ac.jp wrote:

> When sarge became the stable distribution, I read
> that initially the stable and testing distributions
> are the same but that packages in the testing keep
> upgraded, if I remember correctly.  If that's so,
> some packages in the testing will get frequently
> upgraded and others will get upgraded less frequent
> or not at all, but there's no reason why a package
> must be removed, is there?  (unless there's a security
> problem or some such serious problem.)

Sure, there is.  For instance, what if package foo depends on package bar,
and bar has a release-critical bug and won't ever be included in Testing
until the bug is fixed?

Including packages from Stable will eventually stop working, I suspect.  All
it takes is one major change in an important library.
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.