Re: GRUB problem

anoop aryal wrote:
On Tuesday 27 September 2005 07:05 pm, Jeremy Merritt wrote:

I have been having a problem getting my GRUB
bootloader to return on boot. No matter what I do, it
keeps going to XP. I consulted with other people on
this list and got some good input. But have run into a
dead end again. Can someone analyze these steps and
tell me what I'm doing wrong, or what I need to do to
get the GRUB menu to return the way it was when I
first installed Debian:

Steps so far:

1. Boot up with live CD (Knoppix)
2. Activate shell and go root
3. Mount /dev/hda5 as /mnt/hda5
4. chroot /mnt/hda5 /bin/bash
5. grub-install /dev/hda5 -- Reports successful
install but no results on bootup

i can't recall exactly what but i've had problems doing exactly what you described. and since, i've adopted a habit of keeping a GRUB boot disk around. (it's fairly trivial to create a bootable floppy. only slightly tougher to create a bootable CD.) i then use grub shell, to do a 'setup' of

[snip]

This is excellent advice, and I keep one around, too.

Rather than post from memory,

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Creating-a-GRUB-boot-floppy.html

It's also a good idea to have a hard copy of how to boot from
the GRUB floppy. I keep one of those around, too. :-)

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.