compiling non-initrd 2.6 kernel?

I'm trying to compile a 2.6 non-initrd kernel, but all I get are kernel panics. Did someone here manage to do it, or have any good link in this subject? I'm more or less following the article from http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/202 with a few adaptations, including remove the --initrd option. When booting, kernel panic tells me unable to mount root fs (which is reiser 3.6). I'm positive I compiled support inside the kernel for it. Other than that, I can't see where else I can try to tweak...
Any help?