Re: Problem moving to 2.6.12

On Wednesday 28 September 2005 05:27, David Goodenough wrote:
>I have an elderly machine which I use as a sacrificial machine and
> update every morning to the latest unstable.  That way I know when
it
> is sensible to update other machines.
>
>But I have a problem updating it to 2.6.12.  It has been running
2.6.11
> for a while, quite happily.  But I wanted to move to 2.6.12 so I
> installed the new kernel package and tried to boot it.
>
>I can not see the early messages (there were some and what I saw of
them
>as they wizzed past on the screen looked OK), but it ends up
complaining
>that modprobe could not find /lib/modules/2.6.12-1-396/modules.dep
which
>is a file that I know exists and looks correct (its not zero length
or
> the like).  Then it says "pivot_root: No such file or directory" and
at
> /sbin/init 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file.
>
>The disk it is booting (the same one as for 2.6.11) is a SCSI device,
> /dev/sdb and it is driven by an Adaptec AHA-2940.  So I suppose it
is
> possible that support for this device has not been built into the
> kernel or that it has not been included in the initrd.  The other
thing
> about this machine is that it is an MCA machine.  Now the MCA stuff
on
> this machine has not worked for a long time (linux does not seem
able
> to get the card IDs) but there are no MCA cards installed, they are
all
> PCI, including the Adaptec card.
>
>Given that it does not seem able to find the hard drive of course
none
>of the console has been written to disk.  I suppose I might be able
>persuade it to write to a serial port and record it using minicom.
>
>Any ideas as to how to debug this?
>
>David

No.  What I'd do is make sure all the -devel stuff is installed, and
build your own kernel.  I long ago, committed most of that detail
work to a couple of scripts that get edited regularly to keep the
version numbers compliant to what I'm building.  One grabs the old
.config and makeit files from the previous version, hides it, unpacks
the newer one, applies any patches, restores the .config & makeit
files, runs a make oldconfig which incorporates all your special
options into the new .config, and asks you questions about any
changed/new options.

Then I run a make xconfig to double check, edit the copy of makit
(my 2nd script) to fix the version to match the Makefiles version &
then run that script which does the compile and install stuff.
A couple of sips of coffee later I can edit grub.conf (may be
menu.lst on some distros) to add the new kernel and initrd & reboot.
20 minutes if I get distracted, 2.8G athlon XP here.

Then you know you have a kernel that matches your hardware.
And currently running 2.6.14-rc2, uptime 7d 15:42.
And I'm not exactly a youngster, I'll be 71 next week.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)