From: Alvin Oga <aoga@mail.Linux-Consulting.com>
To: enediel gonzalez <enediel@hotmail.com>
CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: ReiserFS vs hard disk
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:38:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, enediel gonzalez wrote:

> /dev/sda6       /               reiserfs defaults        0       1
> /dev/sda1       /boot           reiserfs notail          0       2
..
> /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0

> /dev/sd6 contains the problem that produces a kernel panic message.

presumably that's sda6

you didn't say how big  /boot is and/or how old your cpu is

	/boot is NOT needed on newer bios that understands
	how to read mroe than 1024 cylinders

during the boot... what does the boot up messages say
about your filesystems

> Having another pc with the same configuration, I put the hard disk as the
> slave and I tried to at least recover some files.

you cannot make /dev/sda6 a "slave" on another system

you cannot put the origina /dev/sda6 into another system and expect
it to be sda  if there is already a lower number scsi device
( sda, sdb, sdc is assigned but the scsi-id jumpers and which host its
  connected to

> fsck -doesn't work
> reiserfsck -doesn't work

sounds like the disk is not seen by the system

> all of them report problem with one sector.

i assume you mean partition ..

sector probelms will say  track-xxx head-yyy sector-zz
which is just 512bytes of data

> Do I have any way to recover some subdirectories?

in my book ... too late to recover data from bad disks after you
notice its bad ..  similarly backup sis worthless if you
overwrote last weeks good backup with yesterday's bad data

- yu dont know what s good from bad data till you look at
  every single sector ... 512byts at a time .. and compare against
  a known good backup

but if the lucky charm likes you, and uncle murphy is sleeping,
you can read your data dozens of different ways before the disk really
goes kapput
	- put the disk into a different working pc
	- boot from the cdrom
	- boot from the network
	- boot from the floppy
	- boot from the usb