Re: tar backup ok but restore errors w/ scsi dat dds2

> tar: Skipping to next header

means the tape was jumping around waiting for your system or ..

> tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

your tape is bad .. and/or clean the head ...

Before posting, I did some extensive searching for other posts on the problem and tape cleaning came up a fair number of times. I have cleaned the drive with a cleaning cart. When I put the scsi card and tape drive into the other boxes (SCO 486/Linux PII) I used the same tape, and the same set of backup files for my tests - experienced no problem

I think this might be some type of conflict with the mobo perhaps?

and/or when writing ..
find /home/kbmosas | buffer | tar cvf /dev/st0

Hmmm, can not seem to get the above command to work. Produces the following error:
tar: Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive
Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.

Looked at the buffer man page and tried several permutations of your command but could not get it to work. Besides it looks like buffer will only help writing the data to the tape... The problem I have is reading the data back off the tape. When I create the tar archive using: tar cvf /dev/st0 /usr/kbmosas there are no errors reported by tar. The problem is trying to read the data back from the archive just made.

c ya
alvin

Ralph Eagle
Kubinski Business Systems