Re: GRUB bootloader issue

Jeremy Merritt wrote:
> I need help figuring out what is going on with my
> Debian / GRUB bootloader. Because of some Windoze
> issues, I had to re-install XP on my machine. It
> discarded the grub loader and now you can only boot to
> XP from hda1. I consulted with another Debian user who

Try this:
Booted with a Live CD and have the desktop GUI on the screen

   1. Open a terminal or a command prompt window.
   2. Make a temporary directory somewhere where you will mount the root
filesystem of Linux OS you have installed on your hard disk. For example,:
      $> mkdir /tmp/rootdir
   3. Mount the root filesystem (/) of your installed Linux OS. If your
root filesystem was installed in /dev/hdaX, where "X" is the numer of
partition of your hard disk, you will mount it as:
      $> sudo mount /dev/hdaX
      You may need to change the drive letter(hda or hdb or hdc ...)
depending where you had installed the original Linux system.
   4. Change the root environment to your hard disk Linux system:
      $> chroot /tmp/rootdir
   5. Reinstall grub to the hard disk which is your first boot device.
Assuming /dev/hda is your first boot device, you will give the following
command:
      #> grub-install /dev/hda
   6. After the command finished and shows no errors, reboot your
machine (take care it does not reboot into your live CD again!).

regards,
->HS