Re: Shutdown missing from GNOME "Actions" menu....

Also, shutdown is in /sbin, meaning you have to type the full path if you're not root or export PATH=$PATH:/sbin

On 9/24/05, Ralph Katz < ralph.katz@rcn.com> wrote:
On 09/23/2005 05:00 PM, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> Debian Users,
>
> I recently completed my first install of a dual-boot box with Debian
> Sarge and Windows XP.

Any time now you'll find yourself 100% debian. :)

> However, on my first solo Debian Sarge box I had "Reboot" and "Shutdown"
> options on the "Actions" menu of my Gnome desktop. Is there a setting
> that controls wether these options appear, and if so, where do I find them?

Yes.  As root, edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf to allow these functions without
password or log-in.  For good reason, this is not the default behavior.
Here's what I have on my sarge, and it works fine:

SystemMenu=true
# The Actions in the Actions menu require the root password
SecureSystemMenu=false

You may be able to configure this (as root) with gdmsetup, but editing
the config file has more tweaks available.

> I also noticed that bash doesn't recognize the "shutdown" or "reboot"
> command unless I'm logged in as root. Is this a file permisions error?
> To fix it do I change the permisssions of the shutdown and reboot bash
> command files? Where would I find those files on a Debian Sarge OS?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott Huey

Others have explained about your Paths differing for regular users and
root.  I suggest strongly you install the sudo package which will give
you much more flexibility and safety for performing root functions, or
to allow others to do so.

When I started with debian, Debian Reference Manual was very helpful:
http://qref.sourceforge.net/

Oh, I've found the fastest way to find an executable is:
$ locate -i bin/abc   where abc = first few characters of the command name.

Regards,
Ralph