Re: new hard drive (solved)

On 9/24/05, Simo Kauppi <swk@nic.fi> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 11:01:49AM -0400, Kudret Güler wrote:
> > Hi all, yesterday I had only one hard drive.
> > hda1 /      #debian installation A
> > hda5 /home
> >
> > Today this hard drive is hdb with the same structure. On hda there is
> > grub installed pointing to debian installation A as well as other
> > entries. When I try to load debian installation A, currently I am
> > having kernel panic after an error: "VFS can't find ext3 filesystem on
> > dev hda1"
> >
> > Question: Which files should I edit to let linux know that it is on hdb now?
> > I already edited fstab and mtab
> > thank you
>
> Hi,
>
> AFAIK, you don't need to edit /etc/mtab as it is created/updated by the
> system.
>
> You need to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst in your /dev/hda, which you
> obviously have already done, so make sure the entry for the hdb is
> correctly set. My hdb-entry looks like this:
>
> title           Debian GNU/Linux i386
> root            (hd1,0)
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1
> initrd          /boot/initrd.img
> boot

Here was the problem. The new grub installation has misprepared those entries.

title           Debian GNU/Linux i386 (on dev hdb1)
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1
initrd          /boot/initrd.img
boot

I have corrected the third line as
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1

thank you all very much..