Re: new hard drive

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Kudret Güler wrote:

> Today this hard drive is hdb with the same structure. On hda there is
> grub installed pointing to debian installation A as well as other
> entries. When I try to load debian installation A, currently I am
> having kernel panic after an error: "VFS can't find ext3 filesystem on
> dev hda1"
>
> Question: Which files should I edit to let linux know that it is on hdb now?
> I already edited fstab and mtab

you do NOT edit /etc/mtab .. leave it alone

good if you fixed /etc/fstab

-----------

if you're using lilo, edit /etc/lilo.conf to root=/dev/hdb1
and remove /boot/map
and rerun lilo  ( which will create a new /boot/map file )

and make 100% sure oyu know how to boot the system from floppy
  or cdrom or usb or ?? in case it complains about lilo

if you're using grub, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst ..
	if you have a /etc/grub.conf or /boot/grub/grub.conf,
	change it too

	remove /boot/grub/device.map  and do grub-install /dev/hda
	or leave both of these 2 steps out and see if it still boots
	as it should still work since hd0 is still the original /dev/hda

c ya
alvin