Re: Bittorent question

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 09:16:01AM -0500, Josh Battles wrote:
> Last night I installed bittorrent on my server so that I could use it to
> download/seed some files but I can't seem to get anything to download via BT.
>  I've used BT on Windows and other Linux distros (but never debian) without
> any post-install configuration but this time it doesn't seem to be working
> for me.
>
> I've installed all the necessary python libs and stuff as well as the
> bittorrent and bittorrent-gui packages.  I would think that after installing
> this stuff BT should take over when I click on a download link but it does
> not.
>
> Where is BT installed to and how do I start it?  I'd like to run it in a
> command window instead of GUI if possible.  I searched google but didn't
> really find the kind of information I'm looking for.  All I was able to find
> was "click on a link and BT will download it for you" but that doesn't seem
> to be the case with this box.
>
> I'm running Sarge with a 2.4 kernel.  Can you guys point me in the right
> direction?
>
> --
> - Josh
> www.omg-stfu.com

if you already have it working on another machine, did you have to open
those ports to that particular machine on your firewall? If so, you will
need to choose another port range and map that port range to your debian
box in order to use bt there too. then you'll need to configure the
client to use the alternate port range. Use --minport and --maxport
args.