Re: RAID failed and machine freeze. Help me please! (Poor story about my RAID)

hi ya andrea

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Andrea Ganduglia wrote:

> Sep 21 17:43:55 backup kernel: md: kicking non-fresh sdc1 from array!

bad thing

> and :~# cat /proc/mdstat

yes sir ri bob...

> Personalities : [raid0] [raid1] [raid5]
> md1 : active raid5 sda3[0] sdd3[3] sdc3[2] sdb3[1]
>       873293184 blocks level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]

good ... raid5 is clean

> md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdd1[3] sdb1[1]
>       1461760 blocks [4/3] [UU_U]

says sdc1 is bad

and you have 4 disks that are identical ...
	- so in theory you should not have a problem
	unless the bad disk sdc1 is telling the others to copy
	the bad disk sdc1

> I don't know there is/are disk/s where problem is located

sdc1 ..

see the boot messages again ( as you have already posted it )

> and I don't  know how I can repaire it.

take /dev/sdc1 out of the raid ...
	- reboot
	- and if it comes back .. good ..

watch /proc/mdstat to make sure it's done resyncing before
doing anyting to the system other than logging in

when its done ...
	- put /dev/sdc1 back in ...  stop and start raid ..
	and watch the resync

	- reboot and hope and pray it likes it this time

- if not you may or may not have a bad disk /dev/sdc1
  or the other bad disks have ganged up on the good disk

> I don't know, again, if problem are HD, swap,
> or other hardware parts.

anything could be the problem ... time to experiment

time to save your raid5 data elsewhere before you start playing

	- save it to someplace else that you have not been using
	so that you don't corrupt what was last weeks good data
	in the normal backups

c ya
alvin