Re: NUM Lock , Home, End

Ron Johnson wrote:
On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 18:29 -0500, Seth Goodman wrote:
> [...]

<...>

> I never set them, and these keys work for me both in VTs and X apps,
> on my Sarge systems.  Earlier versions of Debian and X had problems
> like this.

Well, my BIOS sets NUMLOCK on, but Sarge and Etch both turn it off, at least
with the gnome desktop.  I have to manually turn NUMLOCK back on.  Even the
bozos in Redmond have figured out that users want the computer to remember
how _they_ like it without the user taking any action or editing any
initialization scripts.

xnumlock

                    If we want Linux to be the ubiquitous OS, and not
just for the cognoscenti, we can't ignore details like this.

File a bug.  But against what?  Each WM?

I was thinking it should be handled during boot by an init script
like keymap.sh (just a guess).  Anything else that automatically
changes the state of NUMLOCK (e.g. Gnome) could be considered a bug.

First, however, you might want to check to see if one of the
derivative Odistros like Ubuntu have already solved this problem.
This is the just kind of integration issue they specialize in.