Re: Troubleshoot FTP

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this but I don't know where else
to turn.

A client of mine has recently started having connection problems to my
ftp server hosted under Debian. He says he simply cannot reach us. I can ftp just fine to his server. They think we have changed something on our
end that would cause this problem. I've checked our access-list on our
Cisco but there's nothing there blocking ftp connections.

I'm planning on a little field trip to their office over the next week to
try to troubleshoot the problem. What methods can I use to find out
what is stopping the connection. The only methods I know of are ping and traceroute but that's not going to tell me what's causing the problem. My
server is connected via Sprint. Their server is connected via Verizon.
Personally I think it's something on Verizon blocking ftp from their end but I need to be able to prove it to them so they will go after their ip
provider with the evidence.

Here are something to think about:

I'm not certain about the port used to do ftp, but if the client is blocking
the port for some reason, it would explain the problems communicating
with the ftp server.  In other words, the problem could be at the remote
computer and not the server.

HTH.

Sincerely,
Richard Swen