RE: unable to install from CD: failure to mount once kernel installed

<...>

> A quick look at the kernel-source (via make menuconfig) and google
> suggest that PIIX could be the right module.  I dont have this mobo so I
> cant be sure.

I don't see a 82371 on this board.  Rather, it has a FW82801AA.

<...>

> All of the above suggests the ide controller is being detected properly
> as is the CD ROM drive.  As you can access the HDD OK I am begining to
> suspect that it is not being mounted correctly.  Please post your
> /etc/fstab and/or details of how you try to mount the drive.

Here is the file system table (I shortened the hda1 line to fit):

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

I'm surprised it says noauto for the CD and floppy, since I installed autofs
(another attempt to get the CD to work).  Since I never did set it up,
that's probably why.

First, try the obvious:  put in a CD and hit the cdrom icon inside My
Computer on the gnome desktop.  The CD is the Knoppix 3.9 CD that I can boot
and run on this same hardware.  Gnome says it's trying to mount the CD, CD
spins up then gnome gives the following errors:

hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekCompleteError }
hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x30 { LastFailedSense=0x03 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16
hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekCompleteError }
hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x30 { LastFailedSense=0x03 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16

Next, try to mount CD using mount point name.  CD spins up and gives the
following errors:

sethg@cray4:~$ mount /media/cdrom0
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

sethg@cray4:~$ dmesg|tail
hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekCompleteError }
hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x30 { LastFailedSense=0x03 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16
hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekCompleteError }
hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x30 { LastFailedSense=0x03 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16

Next, try to mount CD using device name.  CD spins up and gives the same
errors.

sethg@cray4:~$ mount /dev/hdc
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

sethg@cray4:~$ dmesg|tail
hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekCompleteError }
hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x30 { LastFailedSense=0x03 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16
hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekCompleteError }
hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x30 { LastFailedSense=0x03 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16

Finally, try an explicit mount as root.  CD spins up and generates the same
errors.

cray4:/home/sethg# mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

cray4:/home/sethg# dmesg|tail
hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekCompleteError }
hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x30 { LastFailedSense=0x03 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16
hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekCompleteError }
hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x30 { LastFailedSense=0x03 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16

It tries, but it really doesn't want to mount.  Your hypothesis of an extra
driver that interferes is reasonable.

--

Seth Goodman