Re: Newbie Problems!

Sean Whitton wrote:

Hi all,

I would be grateful for any help on the following problems. Please indicate what
you are replying to in your response! Thanks.

1)
I installed apache using wajig.
I want to create a link between ~/public_html and the webspace for the user at
ip/~user. How do I do this please?
There is a module called mod_userdir, probably already installed an enabled for you. All you have to do is search for the text that says "UserDir" in the configuration file, and enable it. For example, here is what I have:
UserDir html
UserDir disable root

(which means I am using "html" as the directory instead of "public_html")

2)
I want a domain to point to the server. During installation I selected DNS
server, and I need to know how to set this up. A link to a tutorial would be
appreciated.
Do you have a permanent IP address? Most likely it would be much easier to just get a free service until you grow enough to warrant something more: http://www.dyndns.org/

3)
What do I need to do to set up an ftp server?
apt-get install vsftpd
(configuration file is easy to understand)