RE: unable to install from CD: failure to mount once kernel installed

<...>

> Are you sure you have these two files the right way round as I would
> assume the longer one is Knoppix as it seems to be the one with the
> correct modues in it?

I just checked again and the two files are named correctly.  I think it is
should be instructive for the folks that maintain the hardware detection
code in Debian that the driver set installed is not fully functional, but
Knoppix does get it right with no input from the user.

Given the fact that you think the Knoppix modules are the correct ones, and
the Debian install includes a long list of "permanent" modules that may or
may not be appropriate, do you have any suggestions?  There is apparently
nothing wrong with the hardware, as the Knoppix 3.9 system can use it fully,
but the stable Debian installer is not capable of properly recognizing the
CDROM interface and configuring the appropriate drivers.  As a hardware
engineer, I recognize this a bug, but as a Debian newbie that doesn't count
for much.  Being a stock IBM mid-tower with only the original IBM AGP card,
the IBM provided network card, one HDD and one CDROM (each as master on
their own IDE interface), and a single floppy, this is about as pedestrian a
set of hardware as you can get.  The BIOS is the latest available for that
motherboard.

I suppose I could trash the whole system again and attempt a reinstall with
one of the daily boot floppy sets, but that seems extreme.  I would prefer
to stay with Debian, as it is the basis for many of the other distro's and
has a well-developed updating mechanism, but I would also like the use of my
CDROM.

--

Seth Goodman