Install USB mouse, lose keyboard

Here is the situation recap, plus some more information...

Machine has been working fine. Celeron 2+GHz 512MB RAM, 2x80GB hard
disc, one formatted for NT.
PS/2 Mouse
PS/2 Keyboard
Dual boot Windows and Debian, using GRUB. Debian issues a few
messages during boot, but nothing that appears to be serious.
Mouse goes on fritz, becomes somewhat unstable.
Shut down, power down, remove PS/2 mouse, install USB optical mouse
which has been used with another computer.
Reboot, use GRUB to select Windows, no problem.
Windows boots and runs, no problems. Keyboard and mouse work fine.
Shut down, no power down, reboot.
Use GRUB to select Debian.
Debian boots with a few messages, which have been seen before.
X starts up, and Gnome prompts for login.
Keyboard appears not to be recognized at all. Mouse works fine.
Click Actions->Reboot and it prompts for
root password. Keyboard entry completely ignored. No way.
Power down (no shutdown).
Reboot to Debian.
Same problems.
Leave booted, remove USB mouse, put on another USB port.
Symptoms continue as before. Mouse works fine on other port.
Remove USB mouse, leave disconnected.
Symptoms the same. No keyboard entry accepted.
Power down (no shutdown).
Reinsert USB mouse.
Put in KNOPPIX 3.7 CDROM.
Boots and runs fine Keyboard and Mouse both work
	$ uname -a
	Linux Knoppix 2.4.27 #2 SMP
Shutdown (no power down).
Put in KNOPPIX 3.9 CDROM
Boots and runs fine
	$ uname -a
	Linux Knoppix 2.6.11 #2 SMP
Shutdown (no power down).
Put in Kanotix (ACPI ON, DMA ON, ENGLISH)
Boots and runs fine
	$ uname -a
	Linux Kanotix 2.6.11-kanotix-11 #1
Shutdown (no power down).
Boot Debian Rescue Mode
Boots.
Prompts:
	Give root password for maintenance
	(or type Control-D to continue):
Type in root password.
We are logged in successfully! Keyboard works!
We can do ls, and pwd commands!
# exit
Debian continues coming up, starts X, starts Gnome.
Keyboard is dead. Mouse works fine.
Power down (no shutdown).
Remove USB mouse.
Reinstall old flakey PS/2 mouse.
Reboot Debian.
X starts.
Gnome starts.
We can log in.
	$ uname -a
Linux <machinename> 2.4.27-2-386 #1 Mon May 16 16:47:51 JST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
(was all one line, wrapped by me)

All seems well.

The ignored messages are things like

	pciehp: can't be loaded
	Starting AppleTalk
	usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout

The timeout message repeats at regular intervals during boot.
Some other messages about the kernel not having built-in
support for something or other appears in there.
We don't use AppleTalk.
The (slightly) worrisome messages appear with either mouse.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.