Re: Installing individually downloaded debian packages

Oliver Lupton wrote:
Saurabh Nanda wrote:

# Short Question:
How do I install a debian package which I've (manually) downloaded. I
don't have a net connection so I can't use apt-get or something
similar to fetch an entire package list and then install the package.

# Long story:
I trashed my Reliance Internet connection and subscribed to Airtel DSL
broadband. I have an NFORCE motherboard. So I downloaded the Linux
drivers on a friend's comp and wrote them on to a CD. When I tried
installing the drivers on my comp it couldn't find the kernel headers.
So I went over to my friend's comp again and downloaded the kernel
headers (strangely, the kernel's image was present on my 9 CD sarge
set, but the headers and source were not). Now, I want to install this
debian package that contains the kernel headers on my system. Which in
turn will enable me to compile my ethernet card's driver, which in
turn will enable me to get online!

TIA
Nandz.
PS: I tried searching the archive to see if a similar query had been
answered before, but could not find anything related. If, incase I
have missed out something, please send me a link to the relevant
discussion.
--
http://nandz.blogspot.com
http://foodieforlife.blogspot.com

dpkg -i packagename.deb

Run as root.

Cheers,

-ol

Nandz

ol suggestion will of course work, but I had the same problem with my NFORCE 4 board and went through the exactly the same process as you (using my M$ OS to download the packages sssh!) only to find the drivers didn't work.

It turned out that you need to add '--acpi_skip_timer_override' as a boot parameter, for the older 2.6 kernels. Not only did this make the nvnet module work, but also the forcedeth module which is built in to debian. May be worth a try to see if it gets you up and running quicker, then you can apt-get the rest of the stuff.

I only use the forcedeth module now, as you need to reinstall the nvnet driver every time you switch kernels/recompile.

HTH

Wackojacko