readcd -c2scan fails with lots of C2 errors

Hi there,

just installed Debian Sarge (replacing SuSE) and wrote my first data cd-r using cdrecord.

The warnings that cdrecord emits at the start (something about "Linux-2.6.8 introduced incompatible interface" and "there are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.") made me worry but everything went ok.

As usually I verified my recording doing a C2 scan using readcd.

This failed with a huge amount of C2 errors. Checking on a different system (same hardware, SuSE linux) the cd turned out to be impeccable.

I don't know why readcd fails on my system, but I think readcd suffers from the same problems cdrecord mentioned in the warnings.

Checking with google, I found out that using the obscure parameter "ts" will fix this problem:

# readcd -c2scan -ts=8k dev=/dev/hdc

works for me.

As Debian ships with an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord, I wonder why the maintainers failed to fix this bug, e.g. by limiting
SCSI transfer size to 8k or something to this effect?

Anyway, I'm posting this in case other have similar problems.

Also check http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=271563

Cheers
Daniel Kabs
--
All non-shite quality flash keys have an on media log structured file
system and will take 100,000+ writes per sector or so. They decent ones