Re: Network (pcmcia card) not enabled after boot [newbie alert]

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 08:01:33AM -0400, Peter Coppens wrote:
> > A search in google with 'linux kernel Xircom CBEM56G' gives thousands
> > of pages indicating trouble. Most of all 2.4 kernels. Why don you try
> > installing 2.6.x (x > 10)?
> >
> I guess I could try that. But to be honest I am faced with the same
> problem: "lost in the forest"
>
> There should be a 2.6.8 kernel with the 3.1 distro - not sure where or
> how I can install/enable that.
>
> And you suggest to go for 2.6.10 or later - so I e.g. bumped into
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/k/ where the image directory for
> what interests me
> (http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/k/kernel-image-2.6.11-i386/ I
> guess) is empty.

kernel 2.6.8 had some problems, thats why I suggested 2.6.11 or
later. After I think 2.6.11 (i.e., 2.6.12 and on) were named linux
kernel. Look for that. I run sarge, what I did was that I grabbed
2.6.11 from the sid site,
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/base/
pick one, a kernel-image-whatever
then, become root,
apt-get install udev; dpkg -i kernel-image-whatever;

You probably may need to reconfigure your xserver, with the command
dpkg-reconfigure xfree86-common (or xserver-common, don't remember
exactly), due to some changes in the mouse and probably keyboard
devices.