RE: Network (pcmcia card) not enabled after boot [newbie alert]

Marty.

Thanks for your feelings of sympathy.

It is not that I am completely illiterate when it comes to *nix sysadmin
(I used to be the sysadmin of a few hp-ux boxes), but what is rather
frustrating is that there does not seem to be a consistent set of
documents/guidelines that help a user with these kinds of issues.

Google is both a blessing and a curse in this context. You find all
kinds of things but putting them in the context of my specific problem
with the version of the Debian distro I am trying to use is basically
impossible (I bump into hundreds of hotplug, pcmcia_cs, ifplugd,....
pages for all kinds of versions of all kinds of distro's)

So let me have a last attempt to get some (well appreciated) community
help for my really pretty basic problem

I want to get a Xircom CBEM56G network/modem card
(http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/resources/doc_library/tech_sp
ecs/spec_xircbem56g100btx.htm) enabled during the boot of Debian 3.1
(2.4 kernel) running on an old Dell D300XT latitute laptop. What should
I install (and/or remove) and how should I configure it?

Thanks,

Peter