 geometry     = 30515/255/63, sectors = 490234752, start = 0

From: m laks <mlaks2000@yahoo.com>

Here is the solution! It turns out that it is the
order in which the modules are loaded by the kernel.
if you look at
/etc/modules you will see that the it has
ide-cd
ide-generic
sd_mod
now for some reason, since the debian
installer is working with the sata main drive
it does not cause the loading of the modules for the
specific ide controller you have. thus
these "generic" controllers cant GIVE you udma or
whatever.
so the solution is to put the Particular controller
for  your ide ahead of
ide-cd
ide-generic

thus for my motherboard /etc/modules says
via82cxxx
hpt366
ide-cd
ide-generic
sd_mod

then automatically the using_dma gets turned on.
which you will see when you reboot.
all you do it run hdparms and you will see the new
values.