Re: files not in sync on nfs mounted directories

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 03:17:42AM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Karsten Bolding wrote:
>
> > I've a problem with files not being in sync on a nfs exported home. On a
> > cluster the nodes mounts /home from the master. Sometimes it happens
> > that a file is changed on the master but the changes are NOT visible on
> > the nodes - even after quite some time.
>
> how long is "quite some time" ( seconds, minutes, hours )
> 	1-2 minutes of delay before data new show up on a bz network is
> 	possible

Some minutes is not un-common. The network is however not busy at all
when the changes to the files are done. Typically it is changes to some
small Fortran namelist files defining the simulation to be done on the
cluster. Then - when the files are not in sync - the different nodes
uses different run specifications :-(

If the file is copied the problem seems to be solved - moving it is not
enough.

> common problem
>
> what is your nfs options

none except:
/home   n02(rw) n03(rw) n04(rw)

> is it hardmounted from /etc/fstab or do you use automounter
> 	- use an automounter ( autofs )

hard-mounted - I use the automounter for data directories but have
sometimes experienced time outs on those and didn't want that during a
simulation that might take several days.

> do you run sync to flush the data to the disk

no - normally I don't  - actually I never do.

> different apps does different things to data it thinks is current
> on itself vs what's on the master ( it's trying to be too smart )

the app in this case is just vi (or another editor).

> c ya
> alvin

Karsten

Karsten Bolding                    Bolding & Burchard Hydrodynamics
Strandgyden 25                     Phone: +45 64422058
DK-5466 Asperup                    Fax:   +45 64422068
Denmark                            Email: karsten@bolding-burchard.com

In a world without walls and fences, who need windows and gates