Re: Aptitude, apt-get, security-updates

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 12:26:31PM +0300, Simo Kauppi wrote:
> I would like to find out if I have more packages which would have a
> newer version available but haven't been upgraded.

Run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.  [Or dist-upgrade instead of
upgrade or aptitude instead of apt-get, but those are details.]

To inspect an individual package, do: apt-cache policy <package name>.
For example:

$ apt-cache policy tmpreaper
tmpreaper:
  Installed: 1.6.5
  Candidate: 1.6.5
  Version Table:
 *** 1.6.5 0
        500 ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org sarge/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

The important lines are 'installed' and 'candidate'.  This one doesn't
need to be upgraded.

Public GnuPG key:  http://maurits.vanrees.org/var/gpgkey.asc
"It can seem like you're doing just fine,
but the creep's creeping into your mind." - Neal Morse