Automatically maintaining permissions on specific directories

Hi

Is there any way to enforce the permissions on a specific directory so
that everything that is in it will always have the correct permissions?

I know a simple cron job can do the job but I have fucked up more file and
directory permissions than wanted on more than one occasion this way. And
also, it would be nice to know that any files moved to a certain
directory (like public_html) will get the correct permissions instantly
without having to issue a chmod command or wait for the cron job to
finish.

I used to have a partition with the FAT32 filesystems, which allows you to
set global values for user id, group id and permissions (with uid, gid,
umask, dmask and fmask). Then, all files moved to this filesystem would
get the specified permissions automatically. A while ago I switched to
XFS because I needed to be able to have files larger than 2 Gb, and XFS
doesn't have these features.

Best regards
Olle

--