Re: Basic questions about PHP5 on Sarge

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 12:12:36AM -0400, Steve Dondley wrote:
> I have read about sites offer PHP5 for use with Sarge.
>
> 1) Is there a downside or risk associated with these "unofficial"
> Debian packages?

Do some Google searching and see if the benefits/risks are worth it to
you.  I have seen discussions where people complain about PHP5 being a
total memory hog and not working with any of the free
caching/accelerating software, implying that Zend intentioally broke
compatibility so that people would buy their commercial accelerator.
That is just one thing.

> 2) A more academic question I'm curious to know:  Why doesn't the
> Debian team create and release PHP5 package for Sarge?

Becuase Sarge is stable and new packages will not be officially
supported.  The release was already delayed by a couple of years when it
finally made it out.  Adding a new family of packages that are still
somewhat experiemtnal in nature would have been Really Dumb(TM).
Besides, there are unofficial packages or you can just get the source if
you are feeling adventurous.

> Thanks.

-Roberto
--