Office software for the Linux Desktop....

I'm interested in contibuting to an open source office suite that will run on Debian, and prefrably interface nicely with GNOME. I've got some experience with OpenOffice, but I note that GNOME comes with its own office software like Abiword and Gnumeric.

Which direction does the Linux development community seem to be heading in? I know there have been some issues with OpenOffice's requirements for Java, which doesn't always play nice with Debian.

On the other hand, the office apps native to Gnome don't seem to be as full featured as OpenOffice.

Where would be the best place to concentrate my efforts? Which community has the best support for new developers?

Thanks,

Scott Huey