Re: Sarge problem with Matrox video driver ?

On torsdag 15 september 2005, 16:40, michael bailey wrote:
>  Running Debian Sarge on an Intel P3 machine, twice in
> the past two weeks the screen has frozen completely
> and the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock green lights have
> started flashing rapidly. The mouse and keyboard then
> both don't work and you can't move anything on the
> screen.

Oooo, I'm seeing exactly the same problems, and had set aside the
evening to make a writeup about the problem. My card is a dual-head
G450, and I use both heads.

I have exactly the same symptoms as you describe, except my LEDs don't
blink and it doesn't happen 100% of the time, only 90%. Also, I had
been running sarge for about 1.5 year before the release, and the
problem was unknown to me before the last weeks before the release. In
fact, I suspect it sneaked in with the last X upgrade in Sarge.

Like you, I can hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 and make the system freeze. Moreover,
running halt as root can freeze the system too, not only logging out
through the window manager.

I have been exploring many different possible causes, but has not found
a single thing that can reliably let me shut down the computer. I have
been thinking that it may be because I run my dual screens in
non-Xinerama mode (because I like two independent virtual desktops
better than one big virtual desktop). Also, there was this bug in artsd
that could freeze systems on logout, but I shouldn't be affected, and I
even applied some workarounds for it. Still, I have been trying to find
out if it could have been something with having sound when logging out.
Since it has been a daily problem now since (before) Sarge was released,
I have tried so many things, and I'm pretty much out of ideas.

Also, I have tried to look in logs, but I really can't see anything
suspect in any of the system logs. So, I have just praised journaling
filesystems, and hoped for the best...

It is interesting to note I'm not alone, though, and I hope by joining
forces and with the help of the fine folks here, we can figure it out.

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer