Re: booting with kernel 2.6: server hangs

Philipp Pfeiffer Ass DM a écrit :
Hello,

I installed current Debian Sarge using net-install onto the following server:
IBM 8672-83X (Pentium III, 1 GHz)
512 MB RAM
Adaptec 29160LP scsi adapter
18,2 gb scsi hdd

If I use kernel 2.4 (2.4.27-2-386) the server boots correctly. But if I use kernel 2.6 (2.6.8-2-686 or 2.6.8-2-386) the system hangs after the following message "Using anticipatory io scheduler".
SuSE Linux 9.1 works with kernel 2.6. But of course I want to use Debian.

Have you tried some newer 2.6 kernels ? Debian's 2.6.8 is crap for me (It's quite unfortunate that it was shipped in this state) and starting from 2.6.11 it gets vastly better. 2.6.11 kernels are available for sid, so you can easily get one for Sarge (it will work out of the box wrt sid/sarge differences).

Does anybody have an idea how to solve this problem? Maybe it's a compatibility problem with the scsi controller? Unfortunately the syslog is not written if I boot with kernel 2.6. So I cannot post the syslog. Enclosed you will find the syslog, which I get booting with kernel 2.4.

Thank you for any ideas.

Philipp
[...]