FW: debian way to memtest86?

Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
> My computer is seriously segfaulting during compilation (eg: kernel,
> gnome, openoffice,... src.rpm)

I use memtest86:

    http://www.memtest86.com/

You can create a bootable floppy or CD.

You should also test your hard drive.  Go to you hard drive manufacturer's web
site and look for a bootable diagnostic utility.

I recently put two old drives into an older box, and they both went bad.
Someone on the BSD list suggested that I check the power supply, as it could
have caused the problem.  I've seen testers at retail computer stores (CompUSA),
but I'll probably just use my digital multimeter to measure the peripheral
voltages under load.

HTH,

David