Re: usb-thumb memorex? ???

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Chris Parker wrote:

> >> media value (0xb9) VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev
> >> sdb1.
> >

> vfat                   13920  0

that's fat32

> fat                    53756  1 vfat

that's fat16

> msdos                  10400  0

that's definitely fat16 but ...

> vfat                   13920  0
> fat                    53756  2 msdos,vfat

good

> fat16 wouldnt fall under vfat or msdos. dang

fat16 is a whacky name for msdos

> is there a debian kernel w/fat16 support or would it be better to just
> reformat in a vfat partition?  possible?

looks to me that your kernel supports fat16/msdos

but your kernel is not able ot use the modules
to talk tothe usb stick

manually do:
	modprobe msdos
	modprobe fat
	modprobe vfat

	and see what it spits out at you

than spit back and do:
	mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb-stick

	and see what it barfs at you

if it still doesnt work ..

	- change to 2.4.31 or 2.6.13 directly from kernel.org
	and skip all the broken modified kernels

- the above kernel and usbstick should be working on your system

c ya
alvin