Re: Installing mplayer

On 9/14/05, John Talbut <john@dpets.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> It appears from http://people.debian.org/~mjr/mplayer.html that the
> nearest there is to an "official" Debian version of mplayer is at
> http://tonelli.sns.it/pub/mplayer/sarge .  I am having difficulty
> installing this.  I do not seem to be ending up with, in particular, the
> codec files referred to in mplayer-doc.
>
> Can anyone give me or point me to precise instructions as to how to do
> this?  I use Aptitude to get packages.
>
> Or should I give up with Christian Marillat's package and go with the
> precise instructions given at www.princessleia.com/MPlayer.html (though
> I am not on Etch)?

Don't Marillats's packages work?  I haven't had any problems with his
mplayer ever since I installed it, and I've always used unstable
version for btoh, debain and his packages (now available only through
hard coded version name, aka sid, etch, sarge), and I keep upgrading
at least once a week...

For installing Marillat's packages there are several things:

1.  Apt sources:
        deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ <code_name> main
2.  GPG:
        Follow Marillat's page instructuions (http://debian.video.free.fr).

Maybe I'm wrong and there are problems with Marillat's packages I'm
not aware of, and if that's the case, apologyze my post...

Thx,

--
Javier-Elias Vasquez-Vivas