From: Hendrik Boom [mailto:hendrik@pooq.com]
Sent: 12 September 2005 1:51pm
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: reinstall lilo after windows

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 06:32:39AM -0400, Hugh Lawson wrote:
> Rakotomandimby Mihamina <mihamina.rakotomandimby@etu.univ-orleans.fr>
writes:

> > Hi,
> > I will have to reinstall my windows XP because I messed it up.
> > I know it will fire my bootloader (lilo on the MBR)
>
> If you have a floppy drive, one of these should work:
>
> use 'mkboot' to make a boot floppy (easiest).  Be sure to test before
> installing Windows.

mkboot only works if you have lilo installed.

> or, get tomsrtbt to rerun lilo.
>
> http://www.toms.net/rb/
>
> or, get grub and make yourself a grub boot floppy. This takes a little
> study.

So much study I found it easier to install and configure lilo even though
my system already booted with grub.  My son is suspicious of grub.  Last
year when he installed Debian using grub as bootloader, it hosed but
WinXP installation.  He now uses lilo and boots Linux *only* from a floppy.

By the way, does anyone know how to tell lilo that although the boot
and root partitions are all on /dev/hda, it should make a boot floppy
that boots from /dev/hdc instead, because the drive is going to be
physically moved to a new IDE chain?

-- hendrik