Re: Newbie --Admin access problem on KDE... HELP!!

Oliver Elphick wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 00:45 -0400, Faithful John wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>I'm a relative newbie who's been using the debian sarge.   I recently
>>have been trying to install kubuntu on my friends laptop.   She wants
>>to use linux as a primary system (she doesn't like micro$oft).
>>Anyway, when I was installing kubuntu off a disc, the network
>>connections did not set up properly.   Anyway, I have no connection to
>>the internet on that laptop and so I am having lots of trouble
>>updating the thing.   I don't even have admin access.   I know it's a
>>bug with KDE, and it's been reported, but I can't make any sense of the advice
>>people give.   Either it doesn't seem to work, or there isn't enough
>>information for a newbie to follow the instructions.
>>
>>When I try to do something to change the network settings, I can't
>>seem to log in as the administrator to do that.   I don't even know
>>where to start to get it going, especially since I can't get admin
>>access.
>>Selam
>>

>To get admin access, you need to log in as root, for which you will need
>the root password you set up when asked.
>
>Since you talk of a bug in KDE, you would probably do better not to use
>the graphical screen, so:
>
>press <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1>
>that should take you out of the graphical screen and display the first
>virtual terminal (a black and white screen).  If you don't see a login
>prompt, press return a couple of times until it appears.

I can't say about [K]Ubuntu, but both Knoppix and Kanotix don't have
root set up for login. Instead, you have to use "sudo".

I _think_ you can use sudo to change root's password, so that root then
becomes available:

"sudo passwd root"

Faithful John may also be trying to log into X/KDE as root. I believe
Kubuntu may be Debian-based, and if so, may have inherited Debian's
restrictions concerning logging into X/KDE as root (which is to say, you
can't do it in the default setup).

F.  John may also be trying to use some KDE-ified GUI for tinkering with
the network settings. I suggest not using those, and instead using the
command-line tools, as Oliver outlines below.

>Now type
>
>  ifconfig
>
>which will show you what network connections there are.  There should
>always be one called "lo", which is the loopback interface (for the
>machine to talk to itself.  If that is the only one, you need to set up
>the network connection; unfortunately, just what you need to do to
>accomplish that depends on what went wrong.
>
>To start with, you need a stanza in /etc/network/interfaces to describe
>the connection.  It will look something like this:
>
>auto eth0
>iface eth0 inet static
>        address 192.168.1.18
>        netmask 255.255.255.0
>        network 192.168.1.0
>        broadcast 192.168.1.255
>        gateway 192.168.1.14
>
>The address and gateway addresses and the prefix of network and
>broadcast will depend on your local setup.  "address" is the address of
>the machine you are setting up and "gateway" is the machine that is
>connected to the internet.  If you want to use DHCP to get an address
>automatically, it will be different - sorry, I haven't got an example
>here.

For DHCP, the stanza would like like this:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet auto

>If you have that, try typing
>
> ifup eth0

I would suggest using the Debian init script:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

>That may either work or show other errors - see how far you get.
>
>Oliver Elphick

You might also run "lspci" to make sure the NIC is being identified; if
it says "unknown device" or something similar, you may be up a creek
without a paddle. Did Kubuntu work with the network when run as a LiveCD
rather than as a hard drive installation?

--
Kent