Re: sendmail trouble

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 11:11:20PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> While the m4 macros cover most common things they don't cover every
> possible case.  Here is an example.  Years ago in sendmail I needed to
> deliver mail in a particular way.  I needed machines in the same
> domain to be delivered directly with smtp but mail outside the domain
> to be delivered to a smart host.  I won't get into the DNS issues with
> why using MX records was insufficient in my case.  Here is the best
> configuration I found at the time for sendmail.  There was no m4 macro
> support for this.  That was a while ago and who knows but there might
> be now.

Unless I misunderstand what you were trying to do, these days you'd use
sendmail's mailertable feature to do that.

Your mc file would contain

FEATURE(`mailertable')dnl

and then you could construct a mailertable per the simple syntax
described here:

http://www.sendmail.org/m4/mailertables.html

I don't know Postfix or Exim well enough yet to have an opinion about
their relative merits.  Getting to know them better is on my infinitely
long to-do list though...

--
Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Manager