Re: Linux 2.6.10 kernel with IBM xSeries 336, HP DL360G4 & ASUS AP2400R servers

Hello Ravindra,

I did not yet install debian on the DL360, but you still might want to
read my notes on the DL380G4 which I basically just posted at the mailing
list for another threat named *hp dl360 and smart array 6i*  (below the
line)

If I remember correctly , installing debian on the 336 went without a
hitch, once we found that we had to extract the scsi driver from he smart
array cd or what ibm calls it.
We did not have sata drives , so I cant comment on it.

When installing RHEL 3 on the DL380G4 I felt that installing the DL380G4
is NOT for beginners, especially not with the smart array 6i controller
and the internal tape drive. You may run into similar issues with your
360.

However, comparing the 336 with the HP DL380G4 I liked the physical layout
of the DL380G4 machine and seems like it gives you more *bang for the
buck*

I hope that you find the notes useful. Keep asking if you need more info.

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo / Japan
http://www.be-known-online.com

I am not sure if this helps you, but I thought I add my experience.

I have recently installed 3x DL380G4s all with the Smartarray 6i
controllers and RHEL 3 Update 3.

I did upgrade to the ProLiant Support Pack for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
Version 7.30 (including the Smart array driver version 2.36).

http://www1.jpn.hp.com/products/software/oe/linux/mainstream/support/doc/option/array.html

I had to start the installation with the option *Linux dd* and insert the
cd containing the scsi driver. If I remember correctly, than the scsi
driver was included in the Support Pack CD and we had to extract a file -
module to the cd with the dd command

f.e. *dd if=/mnt/cdrom/module.img of=/mnt/cdrecorder*

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/family/model/5561.html?submit.y=0&submit.x=5&lang=en&cc=us
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/101_5561.html#27

We did not install Debian Linux, but it seemed like the procedure would
also work for Debian.

If you can install Debian, but you cant access the scsi discs (probably
raid) afterwards it means you have to patch the kernel. There was a
document available actually describing this pretty good, also we finally
didnt need it.

http://www1.jpn.hp.com/products/software/oe/linux/mainstream/bin/support/doc/option/array/cpq_cciss-2.4.50-30.rhel3.i386.dd.gz.txt
http://www1.jpn.hp.com/products/software/oe/linux/mainstream/support/doc/option/array.html

We had to add additional procedures for the internal Tape drive xx7438c.
On the homepage it explains how to setup a enable-scsi script which would
allow to see and access the tape drive. Also the tape must first be
formatted in the obsr ?? format (or what it was called see front of tape
drive for the label) - you do this in the smartarray setup.

SmartArray/cciss / TAPE Support:
 http://www1.jpn.hp.com/products/software/oe/linux/mainstream/support/doc/option/array/tape_cciss.html

 # cat /etc/rc.d/init.d/cciss-engage
 for x in /proc/driver/cciss/cciss[0-9]*
 do
   echo "engage scsi" > $x
 done
 # chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/init.d/cciss-engage
 # ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/cciss-engage /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/S99cciss-engage
 # ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/cciss-engage /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99cciss-engage
 # ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/cciss-engage /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S99cciss-engage
 #
 # ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S99cciss-engage
 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           29  7月 22 13:15 /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S9
9cciss-engage -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/cciss-engage
 # ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99cciss-engage
 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           29  7月 22 13:15 /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S9
9cciss-engage -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/cciss-engage
 # ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/S99cciss-engage
 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           29  7月 22 13:15 /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/S9
9cciss-engage -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/cciss-engage
 # cd /etc/rc.d/rc1.d
 # ls -l S99cciss-engage
 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           29  7月 22 13:15 S99cciss-engage ->
 /etc/rc.d/init.d/cciss-engage

Make sure only one entry in /etc/modules.conf is for the *alias
scsi_hostadapter1 cciss*.

Finally restart the machine and see if the TAPE drive is seen. Confirm
with *cat /proc/scci/scsi*

If you use HPs UPS f.e the X3000R and you may want to use the SMTP option
then you will need Power Manager version 4.x (not 3.x)

PM4.0
http://www1.jpn.hp.com/products/software/oe/linux/mainstream/support/doc/general/mgmt/ups/pm/v40/index.html

 PM4.0Manual(PDF)
 ftp://ftp.jpn.hp.com/products/servers/proliant/manuals/333101-194-j.pdf

 Download
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/software/power-manager/index.html

I wrote this now mostly out of my head, as you can see its pretty messed
up and I might have missed something. Just keep asking and I will try to
remember how exactly we did it.. Note that some of the links I provide are
from the Japanese homepage (I am based in Tokyo ), but you may find the
same info on the English homepage, also HPs homepage is not necessarily
intuitive ;-).

The whole setup should ideally take 2-4 hours if you concentrate on the
points mentioned above, otherwise it might easily take 3-5 days.

Good luck, keep asking when you get stuck (or better before ;-)
You can also see some of my installation notes at my homepage below.

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo / Japan
http://www.be-known-online.com