Re: simple exim configuration

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 10:23:07PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> paslist@ultrasw.com wrote:
> > I seem to have gotten most important things to work.  One thing I
> > miss that I need is a quick way to set the From: field since I
> > have three different email addresses that I send messages from.

>     Ungh, one of the most bass-ackwards things that test mailers still cling
> to after two decades.  The antiquated notion that people want to merge all
> their mail from different addresses into a single stream only to jump through
> a dozen or so hoops to split it back out.  Whole reason I don't use mutt.  I'm
> not keen on setting folder-hooks for every folder I ever create without a
> single notion of inheritance of settings.  Even worse is trying to keep all
> the outbound mail separate.  *shudder*
>
>     Seriously, what problems are you having with TBird?  Let's get that
> running so you don't have to suffer the horrors of an MUA stuck in the 1990s.

This just appeared after upgrading some other packages on my sid desktop.
After starting TBird from either menu or command line 'ps' says it's running
but it never appears.

The other reason I'm solving these problems is that I have a very slow laptop
that I read my mail with when I'm away from home and TBird is much too slow there.

> > Another important feature that I haven't found yet is a good way
> > to filter messages automatically.  It looks like the 'mailbox' is
> > part of the answer.
>
>     Mutt doesn't filter.  Exim does.  Ignore the inevitable "procmail rawks!"
> people who spawn from the woodwork any time "mutt" and "filter" are uttered in
> the same message together.  Exim filters.  Exim's filter language doesn't look
> like line noise from a 9600 USRobotics on a phone line routed through Pango
> Pango.  Why run an additional program when then MTA does it just fine?
>
>     Peruse exim.org's documentation, esp. the portion marked "filter
> specification".  I use Exim's filtering here because Thunderbird does not
> filter IMAP accounts.  :(

Thanks.  I'll check that out.  I do actually plan to set up an IMAP server
at home when I have time.  Right now the port forwarding on my DSL modem/router
is not working.  (I just tried to set it up earlier today).

Thanks,

--
Paul