Re: Windows Server to Debian migration

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 03:32:21AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@familiasanchez.net> [2005.09.03.0311 +0200]:
> > I seem to recall on an episode of MacGyver where MacGyver took
> > some duck tape,
>
> Please watch your words! It would be more politically correct to use
> the term "duct tape", rather than the brand name here. First of all,
> duck tape didn't exist at the time when McGyver's hairdoo was only
> beaten by that of the actors of Dallas, and second: some of us may
> take personal offence at the thought of *ducks* being made into
> *plastic strips*.

Yeah?  Well I think you are biased because you go by madduck?  Or maybe
you are just mad :-)

> > On to more serious responses.
>
> Uh, right... sorry.
>
> > OpenLDAP is your friend.
>
> It is? It's definitely my enemy. But we have come to good terms now
> that I set cron to restart it every 4 hours to prevent it from
> exploding and rendering our server useless until an administrator
> could intervene. Okay, I am talking about several dozen of logins
> per second (it's a cluster), but still...

I don't use it in nearly such touch environment, but everything I have
seen/read about it leads me to believe that it can handle large setups
very well.

> > You want to look at the Bastille package.  It will walk you
> > through the hardening of your system in a tutorial fashion and
> > explain at each step what it wants to do, why it wants to do it,
> > and reasons why you may or may not want to deviate from the
> > default.
>
> It's also *terribly* outdated, breaks some things when used
> carelessly, and gives a wonderfully false sense of security. The
> same applies to tiger/TARA, btw.

Funny that you mention that.  I emailed Javier a while back because some
of the changes effected by Bastille were undone when I upgraded my
server from Woody to Sarge.  He said it needs to be updated to use the
dpkg-statoverride, rather than just changing attriutes of files without
dpkg's knowledge.  Other than that, I found it a very helpful tool.
Besides, your statement "breaks some things when used carelessly, and
gives a wonderfully false sense of security" can be applied to *any*
hardening tool or package.  The fact is, that you can't expect to secure
a system well with no knowledge of escurity.

> > Also, read the Securing Debian Manual:
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/index.en.html
> > It is a bit more general in nature, but has some good information.
>
> It is one of the best resources on Linux security out there. Javier,
> you rock!

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez