Re: Re: simple exim configuration

From: Simo PW Kauppi [mailto:swk@nic.fi]

> On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 06:44:17PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> > Thanks for reminding me about mainlog.  I'm also getting a lot of these
> > which may be from a bad fetchmail config.
> >
> > 2005-09-02 18:32:29 1EBMtO-0007uZ-9Q == mwiggins@itl.co.uk R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost def\
> > er (0): SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<FETCHMAIL-DAEMON@joy> SIZE=2875: host \
> > mail.ultrasw.com [66.181.240.7]: 451 4.7.0 Could not identify sender - DNS error 9002
>
> Now it seems that exim sends the mail to smarthost eventhough the mail
> is from fetchmail and is meant for you.

I have been looking for documentation thats tells me more about how this all works and have not been completely successful.  If I send a test message to my email address I want exim to send it to my ISP and then fetchmail to retrieve it.  If I send a message to debian-user I want exim to send it to debian-user.

> What is your fetchmailrc like?
# Configuration created Thu Dec 19 13:49:58 2002 by fetchmailconf
set postmaster "paul"
set bouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
set daemon 1
poll ultrasw.com via mail.ultrasw.com
 with proto POP3
       user 'waterhorse' there with password 'secret' is 'waterhorse' here options fetchall
#    user 'paslist' there with password 'secret' is 'paslist' here options fetchall
    user 'pslist' there with password 'secret' is 'pslist' here options fetchall

I have three mailboxes.  I have stopped fetching mail from the one that is subscribed to debian-user so I can maintain a proper thread.

I now remember that I may have changed the 'is' values to my login name here when I was working on this same problem on my laptop.  I will change the "is' values now.

> Mine is like this:
> poll incoming.myisp.com
> user username_in_isp
> password secret
> is username_local_user
>
> Also make sure that your /etc/mailname is set correctly. I have
> something.myisp.com (where something is the dynamic part of my FQDN)
> as the mailname and I also have that in the dc_other_hostnames list.
>
> I guess the main problem here is the name of your machine.

/etc/mailname is blank.  Do you mean that I should use mail.ultrasw.com ?

> See also the question G11 in /usr/share/doc/fetchmail/fetchmail-FAQ.html.

I don't quite know what to do with that information.  I understand that the last paragraph refers to something I have been told about but don't know what to do about.

Thanks,

Paul