Re: lame server

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 01:47:27PM IST, Graham Smith
<graham@crazysquirrel.com> incoherently babbled:

> by loads I mean 10 to 20 a minute for about an hour. They come in groups with
> an IP address being repeated 4 or 5 times then another one is tried. I am at
> a loss to figure out what is doing so many reverse look ups. Can someone help
> me find out what it is?
>
> Perhaps it's nothing but I'm interested to know. I'm running testing and the
> Bind server is only a local caching DNS with all external ports firewalled
> off. There are only two machines on the network so there shouldn't be that
> much traffic.

Lame servers are BIND's name for misconfigured nameservers.

To disregard the messages, follow the configuration details as discussed
in the bind manual [1]

Just add something like this in /etc/bind/named.conf.options:

logging {

category lame-servers { null; };

};

(untested)

[1] http://www.bind9.net/manual/bind/9.3.1/Bv9ARM.ch06.html

--

Conall O'Brien

http://www.conall.net

GPG Key: http://www.conall.net/gpg/

"If programming in Pascal is like being put in a straightjacket, then
programming in C is like playing with knives, and programming in C++ is
 like juggling chainsaws."

																			- Anonymous.