grub-md5-crypt

I  am having some difficulty with grub-md5-crypt. I am hoping that someone will point out where I am going wrong. I have no trouble running  grub-md5-crypt and getting the hash into the config file. However upon reboot and being prompted for the password, the authentication fails. I am using a very simple password for testing and am quite certain it is not being typed incorrectly. While troubleshooting I ran grub-md5-crypt several times (using the same time password string) in a row and compared the resulting hash, each was different. My understanding is the hashes returned should match. Is this correct? I may be barking up the wrong tree but I think this is my problem. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Frank Blackwelder