Re: oggenc doesn't recognize my WAV

can you open/play the .wavs in audacity? if so, you can encode ogg from there.

Michael Crawford wrote:
I have some WAV files of my piano compositions that I wan't to convert to ogg vorbis with oggenc. But when I try I get the following message:

"ERROR: Wav file is unsupported subformat (must be 8,16, or 24 bit PCM
or floating point PCM"

Here's what the file command says about my WAV file:

"Michael David Crawford - Geometric Visions - 1 - Emergence.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, stereo 44100 Hz"

I always thought WAVE files came in RIFF containers. I know that I've always been able to play the files in all the players I've ever tried.

How could I convert it to a supported format? It would be unpleasant to have to redigitize the file, as my master is an analog tape, and I'd have to hook my tape deck up to my Mac to recapture it. It's hard to get it right. I captured my WAV files years ago under the Classic Mac OS.

(I just placed my MP3s under the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 2.5 license. You can download them from http://www.geometricvisions.com/music/ I'll post oggs as soon as I can encode them. It's just taken me a long time to get around to it.)

Thanks for your help,

Michael D. Crawford
crawford@goingware.com